Thursday, April 7, 2011

Dedication

A lot of the time, people will often change their minds multiple times about what they want to do with their lives. In fact, the majority of the people that I go to school with don't even have the slightest idea of the field that they even want to go in to. These are sixteen, seventeen, and eighteen-year-olds we're talking about, here. I personally find it sad when someone who is that close to having to make a decision that big about their lives just has no idea what they want to do, or even some vague ideas.

I think that a major problem with a lot of the youth today is they don't see or worry at all about the future. It's something that's just that: the future. Not the present. They think that high school will be it for them. Sure, the future is coming, and they're going to have to make a decision, but that is a thing to contemplate and worry about later when the time comes.

Well, I've got a message for all of the people just biding their time with absolutely no idea about what they want to go into: the time to decide and start planning is now. Not tomorrow, or next week, or next month, or just later; it's NOW. It truly hurts my heart to see those kids who just wander aimlessly and put off their homework or studying to go party. Now don't get me wrong, I think it's important to have a social life, but you CAN have both a social life AND good grades.

One day, when those people are working hard at multiple jobs just to support themselves and their families, they are going to look back and think 'man, what was I thinking? I should have just buckled down and done my homework.' And that's why it hurts my heart. Because while they may be the people I don't much care for or want to spend my time with now, one day they are going to be sad and have lots of regrets, and right now they don't even realize/care.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding like an after school special or something here, but I'm typing because it's the truth, folks. Alright, I'll just wrap up and be done venting now.

'Til tomorrow,

--A

3 comments:

  1. I'm normally quite the indecisive person, so I can somewhat understand how bewildering it must be to decide where to point your little future-chugging boat. However, we still have to point them somewhere and chug on regardless. I hope that those who are still unsure find what floats their boat best and pursue it with all of their heart, will, and whatnot. Quickly, too!

    *willstopmakingboatmetaphorsnow*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get me wrong, I'm definately not saying you should know EXACTLY where you want to go to college and EXACTLY the feild you want to go into, I'm just saying you should at least have a vague idea. For example, you know you want to go into the visual arts. Lois wants to go into literature. I want to go into veterinary medicine. We are all not 100% sure of the exact job we want to do, and that's fine. I am simply saying that you should have a vague idea or at least be looking into a few things to see if you might like it.

    ReplyDelete